Our History

What is our story?

The United Methodist Church in San Marcos was founded in 1847, one year before the city of San Marcos.  It began as a house-church in the home of John Pitts, with nine members. The fledgling congregation was first pastored by Rev. A. B. F. Kerr, on a circuit with other Methodist congregations.  

The congregation moved to our current location on Hutchison St and built the current sanctuary in 1893. ​

For 175 years the United Methodist Church has been at the heart of the city of San Marcos, transforming lives and this community with the love of God. We have been shaped by, and we have shaped, countless lives through ministry, community involvement, relationships, and grace. We pray to do so for the next 175 years.